Day 17: The Missing Link

Another P90X victim attested to his lack of perspicacity in not purchasing a full set of dumbbells, and instead purchasing an interchangeable dumbbell block. While this method should not be undervalued, the blog author lamented the purchase due to the need to rapidly change between dumbbells during certain workouts. Chief among these is the P90X Shoulders & Arms workout.

If you've been considering a dumbbell block, arguably one of the best is the Powerblock. From viewing and handling different combined blocks, this one stands out clearly in my mind as the most ergonomic and practical. A stand can be bought separately to increase the utility of your dumbbells. There is only one problem: they are quite hideous. Not that my dumbbells are a thing of beauty, but there are a few winning features: Being Urethane coated, the Cap Barbell Urethane-coated Hex Dumbells are safer for both humans, furniture, and floors. One day, God willing, I will have that East facing hardwood yoga/art/workout studio and they don't roll, and aren't injurious to surfaces. Just holding the 10 lbs weight assists in recognizing the benefit. Other nice Cap Barbell options are available, but those dumbbell are either rounded at the ends, are the standard iron weights (surface marring), or are entirely made of chrome. Shiny? Yes. Practical? No.

Working out today was a joy as it being my third P90X week I am actually now able to crank out exercises with a modicum of efficacy. However, certain moves (In-and-Out Bicep Curls, Two-Arm Tricep Kickbacks, Full Supination Curls, and Tricep Extensions) were either too high or low in weight -as I do not yet have a set of 20s. I do have the 5s, 10s, 15s, 25s, & 30s,... but no 20s. I would not have expected this need to arise so soon... but sooprise, sooprise sooprise.

I now value having the complete set, and not missing incremental weights. My small rack space is rapidly diminishing, and will only hold a set of 35s and 40s to be full, although I'm going to fit a set of 12s across the first and second shelf of my Ironman Rack to balance out the mix (with the Tricep Kickbacks exercise, I sometimes could use them). Let us be honest, part of the value of P90X is getting a gym-oriented cross-training workout in your own home, and the problem rests with building the gym. The four tiered rack does have a measurable benefit through: vertical space use. Wider racks may be more stable, but you get a resulting bare wall above them (although you could always put a mirror up).

I've begun to update my blog format but don't have a method for making the title legible at the moment. I apologize, and please bear with me. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.