A Costly Endeavor

Perhaps by now you've yet to measure all the costs of the P90X program. Here is the rough monetary breakdown:

•P90X program, with nutritional guides ($140)
•Dumbells (multi-capacity weights or standalone, $150-$450) depending on deals

•Chin-Up Bar ($40-$75, the P90X b
ar is $75)
•Optional hand braces (stands) $40-$55 and resistance bands ($10-40)
•A Fat Caliper ($7-25)

While not all items are of equal quality, Beachbody charges a premium for shipping, and my high costs reflect those rates. That being said, Beachbody does seem to have the better-made equipment, although substitutions can be found. The following are my own choices:






I'm not quite sure why Beachbody hasn't leaped into their own dumbbell production, but I chose to purchase a very good set made by CAP Barbell (shown in the beginning of this post), and an accompanying 4-tier galvanized-steel "Ironman" dumbbell rack. I tried in earnest during August throughout late October, 2009 to purchase a used set unsuccessfully, before opting to purchase a new one. I chose these dumbbells as I did not want to bother with multiple plates and I knew my wife might be doing the plan with me intermittently. However, one should note that if they take the time to carefully shop yard sales there is equipment for the taking.

Update: If you buy dumbbells it is a good idea to get all the weight amounts, as they ultimately are needed. Originally, I only bought 5s, 8s, 15s, 25s, and 30s. However, I've since gone back and added 10s, 12s, and 20s. I'll add the higher weightings later.

Thus the true cost of the P90X was just under $700, a little-advertised fact most don't realize. I began saving for a proper dumbbell set/rack long before I received the actual program this Christmas past. Even as I write this blog, I have yet to start the actual program, as I am trying to align the even-larger program cost, that of food.

While everyone concerned with fitness should be eating in a healthy manner, few realize just what that means insofar as dietary adjustment, fat burning, etc. P90X provides a wonderful plan, with incredible recipes. However, for us (my wife and I) it has required an increase in protein/produce purchasing, and an associated cost of quality increase (organic and low fat). However, the planning for the P90X diet is more complicated even than this, which requires it's own post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.